Columbus Criminal Defense Lawyers
Choose a Team with a Trusted Reputation
If you're involved in a criminal matter, what you do at the beginning of the case can have substantial impacts on the outcome. For instance, answering law enforcement officials' questions without a lawyer present could result in your making self-incriminating statements that may be used against you in court. If you're convicted of the alleged offense, you could be sentenced to imprisonment and / or be fined. These penalties can affect your personal and professional life, as well as your finances, for years to come. That is why it's important that you hire a trusted attorney at the outset. They can provide the advice and guidance you need throughout the judicial process.
At Friedman & Nemecek, L.L.C. Attorneys at Law, our Columbus attorneys have extensive legal experience. Not only do we know the law inside and out, but we also teach others about the criminal justice process. Members of our team have served as legal educators and analysts, and we have authored books in this area of the law. We are well-respected and highly sought after members of the legal community. Additionally, when our lawyers work on a case, we share insight and knowledge to build a strong defense. When you turn to us, you can be confident that you will have the sound legal counsel you need to fight your charge.
Speak with us about your circumstances by calling (888) 694-4645 today.
Working Toward Minimizing or Avoiding Penalties
Whether you're charged with a misdemeanor or felony, a state crime or federal, if you're convicted, you face harsh punishments.
The specific penalties depend on who has jurisdiction over your case and the severity of the crime, and may include the following:
- First-degree: Up to 180 days' incarceration and / or a fine of up to $1,000
- Second-degree: Up to 90 days' incarceration and / or a fine of up to $750
- Third-degree: Up to 60 days' incarceration and / or a fine of up to $500
- Fourth-degree: Up to 30 days' incarceration and / or a fine of up to $250
- Minor: Up to $150 in fines
- First-degree: Imprisonment for 50% more of the minimum sentence and / or a fine of up to $20,000
- Second-degree: Imprisonment for 50% more of the minimum sentence and / or a fine of up to $15,000
- Third-degree: Up to 3 years' imprisonment and / or a fine of up to $10,000
- Fourth-degree: Up to 18 months' imprisonment and / or a fine of up to $5,000
- Fifth-degree: Up to 1 year of imprisonment and / or a fine of up to $2,500
The penalties for federal crimes depend on the offense. For instance, if a person is convicted of money laundering, they could be imprisoned for up to 20 years and / or fined up to $500,000. A conviction for tax evasion may lead to a 5-year prison term and / or a fine of up to $100,000.
At Friedman & Nemecek, L.L.C. Attorneys at Law, our Columbus criminal defense attorneys have handled numerous cases in both state and federal courts. We know what it takes to provide effective defense in these matters and will thoroughly prepare for your case to spot weaknesses in the allegations made against you and work toward a favorable outcome on your behalf.
Big Firm Resources. Boutique Firm Representation.
When you're facing a criminal matter, having someone on your side who cares about your situation and the outcome of your case is essential. At Friedman & Nemecek, L.L.C. Attorneys at Law, we will treat you like family and provide the personalized legal representation you deserve. Our compassionate team will be accessible and available to answer your questions and address your concerns when needed.