Columbus Criminal Defense Attorney
Seeking Top-Notch Defense Lawyers in Ohio
If you have been arrested for a crime in Ohio, you need a criminal defense team you can trust. When your freedom is on the line, look no further than the team at Friedman Nemecek & Long, L.L.C. We are a criminal defense firm proudly serving clients in Columbus and across Ohio.
We offer more support and security than smaller firms while maintaining the personal touch that large firms often lack. Our criminal defense team is the right choice for anyone seeking a personalized criminal defense strategy. Our firm also handles civil matters, which means our attorneys have extensive trial experience that can be advantageous in your case.
Companies and individuals often contact us for our trial capabilities. Our Columbus criminal defense attorneys diligently tackle each case, devoting all our energy to our commitment to each client.
We Handle All Types of Criminal Cases
- Appellate Representation
- Domestic Violence
- Drug Crimes
- DUI / OVI
- Federal Crimes
- Internet Crimes
- Juvenile Crimes
- Post-Conviction Relief
- Probation Violations
- Sex Crimes
- Internet Sex Crimes
- Theft Crimes
- Traffic Violations
- Violent Crimes
- Murder & Homicide
- Weapon Crimes
- White Collar Crimes
- Money Laundering
The Importance of Hiring an Attorney for Criminal Defense Charges in Columbus, OH
When facing criminal defense charges in Columbus, having a skilled and experienced attorney by your side is essential. Navigating the complex legal system can be overwhelming, and the consequences of a conviction can be severe.
Hiring a knowledgeable criminal defense attorney can make all the difference in protecting your rights and ensuring the best possible outcome for your case.
Here are some reasons why hiring an attorney is crucial when dealing with criminal defense charges:
- Expertise in Local Laws: An attorney who is well-versed in Columbus, Ohio laws will be better equipped to handle your case effectively. Our attorneys have a deep understanding of the local legal system and can identify any nuances or technicalities that may work in your favor.
- Experience with Similar Cases: A seasoned criminal defense attorney will have dealt with numerous cases similar to yours. This experience allows them to develop strategies and tactics tailored to your specific situation, increasing the likelihood of a successful outcome.
- Negotiation Skills: Prosecutors often offer plea deals to avoid going to trial. An experienced attorney knows how to negotiate effectively, potentially securing a more favorable plea agreement or even dropping the charges altogether.
- Protection of Your Rights: A criminal defense attorney will protect your rights throughout the legal process. They will also work to suppress any unlawfully obtained evidence and challenge any inconsistencies in the prosecution's case.
- Emotional Support: Facing criminal charges can be a stressful and emotional experience. Having an attorney by your side provides a sense of security and support, helping you maintain a clear and focused mindset throughout the proceedings.
- Mitigation of Consequences: If convicted, the penalties for criminal offenses can be severe, including fines, probation, and incarceration. A skilled attorney can work to minimize these consequences and advocate for alternatives such as rehabilitation programs or community service.
Hiring a criminal defense attorney is crucial to the outcome of your case. For the best possible outcome, having a seasoned criminal defense attorney working on your case is key. The expertise, experience, and dedication an attorney will bring to your case can make all the difference when it comes to navigating the legal system and defending you against criminal charges.
Working Toward Minimizing or Avoiding Penalties
Whether you're charged with a misdemeanor or felony, a state crime or federal, if you're convicted, you face harsh punishments.
The specific penalties depend on who has jurisdiction over your case and the severity of the crime, and may include the following:
- First-degree: Up to 180 days' incarceration and / or a fine of up to $1,000
- Second-degree: Up to 90 days' incarceration and / or a fine of up to $750
- Third-degree: Up to 60 days' incarceration and / or a fine of up to $500
- Fourth-degree: Up to 30 days' incarceration and / or a fine of up to $250
- Minor: Up to $150 in fines
- First-degree: Imprisonment for 50% more of the minimum sentence and / or a fine of up to $20,000
- Second-degree: Imprisonment for 50% more of the minimum sentence and / or a fine of up to $15,000
- Third-degree: Up to 3 years' imprisonment and / or a fine of up to $10,000
- Fourth-degree: Up to 18 months' imprisonment and / or a fine of up to $5,000
- Fifth-degree: Up to 1 year of imprisonment and / or a fine of up to $2,500
The penalties for federal crimes depend on the offense. For instance, if a person is convicted of money laundering, they could be imprisoned for up to 20 years and / or fined up to $500,000. A conviction for tax evasion may lead to a 5-year prison term and / or a fine of up to $100,000.
At Friedman Nemecek & Long, L.L.C., our Columbus criminal defense attorneys have handled numerous cases in both state and federal courts. We know what it takes to provide effective defense in these matters and will thoroughly prepare for your case to spot weaknesses in the allegations made against you and work toward a favorable outcome on your behalf.
Skilled Columbus Criminal Defense Attorneys
For accomplished attorneys known regionally for their achievements, look no further than the skilled legal representatives at Friedman Nemecek & Long, L.L.C. Our Columbus criminal defense attorneys are trusted with defense strategies and negotiations at every level because of our track record of success and commitment to service and ongoing education.
Our achievements and legal experience include:
- Co-Chair of the American Bar Association Cyber Committee
- Former President of the Ohio Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Former President of the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Legal Educators & Analysts
- Former President of the American Board of Criminal Lawyers
- Recognized Leaders in the Legal Community
- Practicing Throughout U.S. & Internationally
- National Authors & Speakers on Our Team
Our client-centered firm focuses on achieving results. We treat our clients like family and go the extra mile to meet their needs. Our Columbus criminal defense attorneys have received numerous awards and honors and serve as educators and mentors for other lawyers in criminal law. Contact us online right now to find out how we can help you.
Dedicated to Providing High-Quality Defense When It Matters Most
While our respected attorneys can defend cases individually, we often collaborate as a team in challenging situations. Our keen legal abilities and access to resources set us apart from other law firms. We are respected throughout the legal community and are prepared to discuss your case immediately. We provide legal defense services in Columbus and throughout Ohio.
Contact Friedman Nemecek & Long, L.L.C. today for more information. Early involvement by our Columbus criminal defense attorney can be crucial in criminal law – call (888) 694-4645 today.
The best of the best - If you're in need of a lawyer, I highly recommend you consult with Friedman Nemecek & Long firm. They will treat you like family and will always be there for you, night or day!- Justin Y.
This firm assisted with a matter I was handling with another legal professional. Within 48 hours, the matter had fully resolved in our favor. This firm’s exceptional strategic decision-making and tenacious representation is unmatched- Lauren C.
For incredibly large or complex criminal cases, this law firm is the only place to go in my opinion. Each lawyer in Mr. Friedman's firm are at the top of their field, which reflects in the positive outcomes of their cases.- Former Client
I was facing life in prison for a crime I did not commit. After an initial conviction during a bench trial, Ian was able to get me a new trial based upon previously undiscovered evidence and I was found not guilty by a jury at the second trial almost immediately upon beginning deliberations. Ian saved my life.- Former Client
If you need a bulldog on your case, you have Ian and his team. They never give up.- Patrick M.
Co-Chair of American Bar Association Cyber Committee
Former President of the Ohio Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
Former President of the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
Legal Educators & Analysts
American College of Trial Lawyers Fellow
Rule 20 Certified - Lead Trial Counsel Capital Cases
Former President of the American Board of Criminal Lawyers
Recognized Leaders in the Legal Community
Practicing Throughout U.S. & Internationally
National Authors & Speakers on Our Team